Saturday, December 3, 2011

the homily and the little girl

I do not normally give money to those kids who step up the jeepneys and hand white envelopes asking for money to buy food, school supplies, meds for siblings, or anything (depending on the season) because I know they're under a syndicate and I don't want to tolerate those acts. But the priest's homily the other sunday was about meeting Jesus. He can be anyone, anywhere, anytime. The priest said that He can be the old man playing an instrument on footbridges (and you'll wonder how they get there) or the kid asking for money from jeepney passengers. But people do not give because they know they are under a syndicate. He also said that we should give even a small amount. And he even joked the Fita commercial about the fairy and the "sports car, yung red". His message was simple: we should give anything because the people whom we encounter might be Jesus. So I said to myself I should be good to other people (oh no, this morning I was rude to the driver who is extorting money from us. Well, that's another story. And I know he's not Jesus anyway)

So while I was on my way home, I rode a jeepney going to marikina. A little girl jumped up the jeepney and started to hand out white envelopes asking for money to buy stuff for Christmas (I told you, it depends on the occasion and season). I suddenly remembered the homily of the priest. So I gave two pesos, one inside and the envelope and the other was my change. I waited for the little girl to get the envelope. I was seated at the end of the jeepney so she came to me last. I noticed no one gave anything to her. So I happily handed her the envelope with a coin and my change. I was expecting a "thank you" and a smile since I was the only one who gave money to her. But she grabbed the envelope, stopped in front of me, took the other peso inside the envelope and put in her pocket then just before she jumped out (literally, she jumped out of the jeepney), she threw the other coin back inside the jeep! I was shocked (and kinda humiliated) then one passenger commented "tingnan mo yung batang yun". I just ignored what happened for few minutes and tried to think again what happened. But then I said to myself, someone will benefit from that coin. If not that girl, then someone will.

At least I tried to gave something hoping that it might be Jesus. But then, she was 'furious'. Is it because it's just a small amount?

Anyway, may God bless that kid.

No comments: